Breastfeeding can be a beautiful thing. But the truth of matter is that it can oftentimes be a painful thing as well. Moms, we understand and care about what you’re going through and all that you do for your family, so we want to offer some help.
What causes nipple pain
Nipple pain as a result of breastfeeding is typically caused by vasospasm, or the sudden narrowing and constriction of blood vessels, but can also be caused by Raynaud’s phenomenon (a condition that affects blood supply). Nipple vasospasm can also present with deep breast and muscle pain; this is a condition known as Mammary Constriction Syndrome.
Symptoms of Mammary Constriction Syndrome
- Burning, stabbing or itching pain that is felt shortly after breastfeeding or in between feedings
- Sore nipples that can also become misshapen nipples
- Color change in nipples that ranges from white after a feeding to blue-ish or dark red (which is generally associated with Raynaud’s Phenomenon)
- Deep breast pain that is often described as shooting pains deep in the breast
- Discomfort (a worsening or trigger) as a result of cold temperatures
Coconut oil: the best nipple cream
If you’re a fan of coconut oil or have been keeping up with our blogs, you likely know by now that coconut oil has been known to have restorative properties when used for skincare. So, naturally, it makes sense that coconut oil can be used a nipple cream. We’ll explain.
Some lactation consultants recommend coconut oil as nipple cream over other common topical creams such as lanolin. The reason is simple. While lanolin is commonly used for chapped skin and can therefore help chapped nipples, it does not have any healing properties like coconut oil does. Coconut oil is also antimicrobial and antifungal, which are benefits other nipple creams also lack.
Use Pure Baby as nipple cream
We can’t forget that the best part about coconut oil as nipple cream is that coconut oil is great for babies, too. That means you don’t have to worry about wiping it off before your baby’s next feeding!
Make your first purchase of Pure Baby today, and let us know what you think about our coconut oil product designed specifically with moms and babies in mind.